The Geo-Institute of ASCE (G-I) monitors or participates in the International Building Code, other ASCE institute standards, and ASTM International standards. Several different groups have been established to work on these matters.
- Codes and Standards Council – Purpose: To identify the need for codes, standards, and guidance documents pertaining to the practice of geotechnology, and to prepare and/or cooperate with other professional and corporate entities in preparing appropriate codes, standards, and guidelines.
- Data Interchange for Geoenvironmental and Geotechnical Specialists (DIGGS) – Interested in developing a standard data transfer protocol for sharing of geotechnical data? Find out about the Data Interchange for Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Specialists (DIGGS) Standard project at diggsml.org
- Standard of Care Guidance – Purpose: To develop a guidance document that defines a process for evaluation of elements of the “Standard of Care” in an objective manner.
- Compaction Grouting Guideline – Purpose: To develop a consensus guide for compaction grouting, focused specifically on applications where compaction of the soil is a primary element of the foundation improvement.
- Design of Residential Structures on Expansive Soil Standards Standard – Purpose: To develop standards for design of Residential Structures on Expansive Soils.
- Pile Foundations Standards – Purpose: To develop, maintain, and improve standards for design and construction of pile foundations to replace the provision of the old ANSI A56 standard written in 1952.
- Living With Shrink/Swell Soils – A Homeowners’ Guide to Maintenance of Shallow Foundations