May 12, 2018, 8:00 am
May 20, 2018, 5:00 pm
APPLY TO ATTEND 2ND US-RUSSIA GEOTECHNICAL WORKSHOP
The Geo-Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers will cohost a US-Russia symposium in conjunction with the Russian Society for Soil Mechanics, Foundations, and Geotechnical Engineering (RSSMGFE) in May 2018. The focus of the event will be best practices in geotechnical engineering guidance documents, codes, and standards, from both the US and Russia.
The Geo-Institute is seeking 10 American representatives for this workshop from government, practice, and academia. The format of the symposium will be a mix of formal presentations and panel discussions on selected topics. Each delegate is expected to give at least one lecture in front of workshop attendees. Lecturers can present in either English or Russian, and where possible, slides should be understandable in both languages.
Delegates will be responsible for their own airfare, train tickets from Moscow to St Petersburg, and lodging while in Russia. A contribution of $1,500 from the Geo-Institute will be provided towards the expenses of each of the ten delegates. The weekends are for visits and travel.
SELECTION OF DELEGATES: The American delegates will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Proposed contribution to the workshop
- Interest and knowledge of guidance documents and specifications
- Past contributions to the Geo-Institute
- Involvement or leadership in other professional societies
- Demonstration of cost sharing
- Speaking Russian would be preferred but is not required
DATES AND LOCATIONS:
- Saturday 12 May 2018, arrival of the American delegation in Moscow
- Sunday 13 May 2018, technical tours and sightseeing in Moscow
- Monday and Tuesday 14-15 May 2018, discussions and lectures by delegates from both organizations
- Wednesday 16 May 2018, travel by train from Moscow to St. Petersburg
- Thursday and Friday 17-18 May 2018, discussions and lectures by both organizations delegates
- Saturday 19 May 2018, technical tours and sightseeing in St. Petersburg
- Sunday 20 May 2018, return of the American delegation to the USA
For more information please contact Jean-Louis Briaud at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jean-Louis Briaud, Chair
Jennifer Nicks, Co-Chair