The Geo-Institute Needs YOU
We make our industry much stronger by actively participating in relevant professional associations.
William M. Camp.III, P.E., D.GE, M.ASCE
Being a member of the Geo-Institute provides not only the obvious advantages of belonging to a professional association, it also provides many ways to give back to the geo-community in both substantive and intangible ways. From the small and manageable to the large and significant, contributions of your time and energy help forge the future of the industry for practitioners, academicians, students, and YOU.
Share your knowledge:
- Send us a news item for the website or GEOSTRATA.
- Let us know of local events you're planning—we'll help promote it by adding it to our website.
- Join our group on LinkedIn.
- Friend us on Facebook.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Provide photos or videos of interesting geotechnical projects for use in GEOSTRATA or this website.
- Volunteer to review papers for conferences or journals.
- Answer a call for papers/abstracts for an upcoming G-I conference.
- Participate in the development of industry guidelines and standards.
- Recommend a keynote speaker for a conference.
- Advertise a career opportunity.
- Forward information about fellowship or funding opportunities.
The more you get involved, the more you learn.
Suzanne Lacasse, Ph.D., F.ASCE, F.CAE, NAE
Volunteer your time:
- Join a technical committee (the backbone of G-I activities).
- Volunteer as a speaker at a local Graduate Student Organization event.
- Volunteer to review conference technical papers.
- Propose a new continuing education webinar or seminar.
- Propose a new GSP publication.
- Form a new G-I Chapter or Graduate Student Organization if one doesn't exist in your area.
- Get elected to the G-I Board of Governors.
Network with colleagues:
- Get to know your fellow geotechs at events such as conferences and chapter or committee meetings.
How, you may ask, is that giving back? For every new acquaintance, colleague, research partner, or friend you make at a G-I event, you give that same opportunity to others. Together, these relationships drive the expansion of geotechnical knowledge and business opportunities that move the profession—and your career—forward.
Thank your mentors:
- Nominate your mentor for an ASCE or Geo-Institute award.
- Propose an honorarium GSP focusing on their research.
Contribute to the future:
- Contribute to the G-I voluntary fund when you renew your ASCE dues.
- Volunteer to judge entries during student competitions such as GeoWall, GeoPrediction, GeoPoster, and GeoVideo.
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Ready to get involved?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll help you find a volunteer opportunity that's a great fit for you!